/ CompleteRegistration // Track when a registration form is completed (ex. complete subscription, sign up for a service) fbq('track', 'CompleteRegistration');
North Carolina Hydrogen Sulfide Attorneys

Worker Who Died From Hydrogen Sulfide

Wallace & Graham's attorneys currently represent the family of a young processing plant worker who died from hydrogen sulfide poisoning. We are further evaluating the health concerns expressed by other clients who have been exposed to hydrogen sulfide (which is sometimes abbreviated as “H2S”) and other gases while working around processing plants, lagoons, and in various other jobs.

Workers in the hog growing and other animal industries in North Carolina are frequently exposed to hydrogen sulfide, methane, ammonia, and other toxic gases produced during the decomposition of animal waste and dead animals.

What is Hydrogen Sulfide

Hydrogen sulfide is a chemical compound described as being deadlier than cyanide.  In fact, it was used as a poison gas during World War I.  OSHA states that "hydrogen sulfide is one of the leading causes of workplace gas inhalation deaths in the United States."  This dangerous gas is "responsible for more deaths than any other gas."  Knowledge of the dangers of H2S gas goes back to the 1700s.

Hydrogen sulfide is a poison that can affect almost any system in your body with long-term effects.  However, perhaps its most dangerous effect on workers in hazardous animal processing factories may be that it causes fatigue and dizziness.

Hydrogen sulfide is colorless, but workers can usually detect it because in sufficient concentrations it smells like rotten eggs.  However, it quickly deadens the sense of smell, so it is possible to breathe a high concentration without detecting it.

If you or someone you love has been injured or killed by hydrogen sulfide or other toxic gas, contact Wallace & Graham at 800.849.5291 for a free consultation.

Wallace & Graham represents individuals who have been harmed by exposure to hydrogen sulfide, such as the wife and two young children of a 26-year-old Smithfield Foods employee who was killed after being exposed to hydrogen sulfide while working on a tanker truck that was filled with hog manure at Smithfield's hog-processing plant in Clinton, North Carolina.  If you or someone you know has concerns about exposure to hydrogen sulfide, please contact Wallace & Graham for a free and confidential consultation.